Part II Vocabulary and structure(0.5x30)
Directions: There are thirty incomplete sentences below. For each one there are four choices marked A, B, C, and D. You should choose the one that best fits the sentence.
Then marked the corresponding letter on the answer Sheet.
21. Last year the advertising rate by 20 percent.
A. raised B. aroused C. arose D. rose
22. When he arrived, he found the aged and the sick at home.
A. nothing but B. none but C. none other D. no other than
23. The student was just about to the question, when suddenly he found the answer.
A. arrive at B. give up C. submit to D. work out
24. We are all for your proposal that the discussion .
A. be put off B. was put off C. should put off D. is to put off
25. The first, second, and third prizes went to Jack, Tom, and Harry .
A. equally B. differentl C. similarly D. respectively
26. He had never given a speech to so many people, so he felt .
A. excited B. stupid C. disappointed D. nervous
27. Success in the lab doesn’t always mean immediate success on a large .
A. business B. account C. way D. scale
28. Mr. Smith said that he did not want to any further responsibilities.
A. get on B. look up C. put up D. take on
29. It is impossible to with a person whose methods are completely opposed to your own.
A. cooperate B. correspond C. compete D. compare
30. It was the training that he had as a young man made him such a good engineer.
A. has B. later C. which D. that
31. When the interval came, everyone the bar.
A. made out B. made C. made for D. made up
32. The wide use of computers is a of the Information age.
A. urgent B. characteristic C. remarkable D. feature
33. If either of you had been able to your anger, the fight would have been avoided.
A. hold up B. hold out C. hold back D. hold onto
34. By lip reading or watching the movements of the speaker’s lips , a deaf person can actually see the person at the other telephone is saying.
A. that B. how C. what D. where
35. The story of the homeless orphan has sympathy from the public.
A. aroused B. attracted C. defended D. adopted
36. She will tell us why she feels so strongly that each of us has a role in making the earth a better place to live on.
A. to have played B. to play C. to be played D. to be playing
37. The place the bridge is supposed to be built should be the cross-river traffic is the heaviest.
A. which; where B. at which ; which C. at which ; where D. which ; in which
38. The cost of living in Glasgow is among the lowest in Britain, the quality of life is probably one of the highest.
A. since B. when C. as D. while
39. Thank you for all your hard work. T don’t think we it without you.
A. can manage B. could have managed C. could manage D. can have managed
40. According to the air traffic rules, you switch off your mobile phone before boarding.
A. may B. can C. would D. should
41. Had he worked harder, he the exams.
A. must have got through B. would have got through
C. would get through D. could get through
42. The reason why he didn’t come to school was ill.
A. due to B. that he fell C. because he fell D. because of falling
43. I can’t find my purse anywhere. You have lost it while shopping.
A. may B. can C. should D. would
44. We should learn from those are always ready to help others.
A. who B. whom C. they D. that
45. Mr. Herpin is one of the foreign experts who in China.
A. works B. is working C. are working D. has been working
46. Tom is the only one of th